In case, you have got a new email id and you do not want to make use of your former id, then it is mandatory to change your Apple ID. This task needs to be performed keeping mind the safety measures of your account.
Changing your Apple ID is not at all complicated, rather it is really easy and simple if you are following each and every step suggested by the official site. To help you in this matter, today’s article is about the step by step guide to change Apple email id.
how to change apple id email
Your Apple ID is really important if you want to access any of your Apple Cloud services. These cloud services include – iTunes, Apple Music and iCloud. Generally, the ID is generated as @mac or @cloud. But in case you are also using any third-party email address like @gmail.com, then you must keep it to one.
This means you need to change your email address and id for safety purposes. It includes the email address and password that you must use for signing in and contacts.
How to Change?
Before moving any further, we must get one thing very clear. The Apple ID is basically an email address just like some third-party email address like [any person]@gmail.com or [any person]@yahoo.com, but the passwords for both the email addresses cannot be same.
Until and unless, you have mentioned the same password for both the email addresses, which you should strictly not do, but generally people commit this blunder!
Make it a point, that you are very well aware of your password before proceeding to any changes because everywhere you will be asked the password as the step of verification.
If you know your current Apple ID and a correct password for it, you can easily change your email id from any browser. Now let’s begin!
- From a web browser on your iMac, iPad, iPhone or computers, just navigate to appleid.apple.com
- Enter the Apple Id and your password.
- Now, log in the id by tapping the arrow sign.
- You will be now required to verify your id with the two-factor authentication (if enabled).
- In the account section, click EDIT next to “REACHABLE AT”.
- Click onto, change Apple email id under the Apple Id.
- Enter the new e-mail address.
- Click on continue.
- You will get a verification code on the new email id.
- Open the email from your Apple.
- Click on the verify email id link in the email you received.
- Enter the verification code at appleid.apple.com
- Click on verify.
- Click on done, once finished with the process.
Check the following GIF if you wants to have video tutorial.
These are the only steps that you will be required to perform in order to change Apple mail id. But in case you are not fortunate enough, and your email address is already being used with an Apple Id, then you will need to walk some extra miles, to get the work done. You will be required to make use of three different email accounts for this purpose.
- The email account associated with the current Apple ID.
- The email account associated with the Apple Id you want to change your current Apple Id to.
- The third email account is that account that can be used throw-away email (any account that you have created earlier, and you know its password)
Now the steps required to solve the problem are: –
- You will be needed to get the password for the Apple ID associated with the email that you want to change to.
- From the web browser, navigate to iforgot.apple.com.
- Enter the email address you want to switch your Apple account to.
- Click on continue.
- Select I need to reset my password.
- Click on continue.
- Select get an email.
- Click on continue again.
- Open the email you receive from Apple.
- Click reset now.
- Enter a new password.
- Re-enter the new password.
- Click on Reset password.
Change the email associated with the inactive Apple ID
- With the above-mentioned sub-steps of step one, now you have access to your inactive Apple ID.
- Follow the steps for changing the email associated with your Apple ID.
- Use the Apple Id password and email address from the first step mentioned above.
- Change the email associated with that account to the throw-away email address.
Go back and change your active Apple email ID
- Now, that the email address you want to make use of for your Apple Id is freed, you can make changes.
- Follow the steps for changing the email address associated with your Apple ID.
- When you will enter the new email address, you will get the address you want to use.
If your email address ends with @icloud.com, @mac.com or @me.com than you cannot change the Apple ID to any of the third-party email addresses. In such a case, you will also not see the option of Change Apple Id, on your account page or the option to delete your email address from your iPad, iMac or iPhone.
In case you are highly unfortunate, and none of the solutions works for you then the only possible thing to save you is, download as much content as possible in your devices or any other cloud-based services (like photos, media, contacts, iCloud Drive Documents, contents that are not purchased from iTunes etc.) , and start over from scratch, with your preferred email address account.
We have discussed, what is the need to change Apple email ID, and the steps to do the same. We all have so much on our phones and emails. In fact, we manage most of our payments and money transfers from our devices. A lot of other important stuff is transferred over the email which is crucial to keep safe. To ensure efficient privacy and security, it is highly recommended to keep yourself alert and aware of all technicalities involved in the process. All your passwords need to be protected so that your account is safe from different online frauds and threats.